Asbestos Testing RockhamptonCertified Asbestos Sampling & Testing
"Asbestos Watch Endorsed Contractors for a secure asbestos testing in Rockhampton"
An Awareness Act : Should I Conduct Asbestos testing Myself?
Asbestos Testing Rockhampton Project | Handling asbestos alone may become dangerous for you as exposure to its’ fibres can risk your health. The Australian Work Health and Safety recommends you to hire an accredited removalist who have gone through training and certification to deal with asbestos-containing materials (ACMs). Handling ACMs require skills, knowledge and experience. It is not a job you can take lightly.
If you are planning to do demolition or you want to remodel your house, then testing for ACMs is a must. It is to prevent exposure from fibrous products and risking your health or your neighbors’ health. If you want to test certain products in your home, you can hire a licensed contractor or you can also do it yourself.
Remember, you need to consider every aspect if you choose to do a DIY test. You may want to check beforehand if the cost for buying all-in one kit test is also covering the laboratory fees. The kit itself usually does not come with an actual examining method.
You must take precautions and follow certain procedures in doing the asbestos testing Rockhampton work. Hiring a professional removalist will be the safest way to carry out the work as he will conduct the job safely. Non-friable material is actually not dangerous. However, as your house gets older, the chance of non-friable material to be damaged is higher.
Friable material is dangerous as they can release fibres to the air when disturbed or damaged. If you continuously breathing-in the airborne fibres, the toxic substance will get into your respiratory system. If this happens, most likely it will put you in high risk of developing diseases such as, lung cancer and mesothelioma.
DO NOT DISTURB the surface of the suspected material before you receive the testing result. If there is a situation when touching the suspected material is unavoidable, you need to take precautions. Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) during the work.
Read more about asbestos on: www.epa.gov
What Do I Need to Perform a DIY Test for Asbestos?
You can’t tell whether a product or a material is an ACM by simply looking at it, unless it is labeled. We advise you, if you’re in doubt, to treat the material as if it contains asbestos and leave it alone (undisturbed).
Commonly, ACMs are used in:
- roofing sheeting (roof asbestos removal read here),
- floor vinyl sheeting,
- and wet place.
Someday, maybe you wonder if your home contains fibrous products. Especially if your property was built before the 1990s. You may want to have your home inspected or tested, especially if you are planning to remodel your house (which can disturb fibrous materials) or your home has damaged fibrous products (like insulation that is falling apart of the drywall crumbles).
If those events happen, then you might consider to hire a trained and licensed asbestos removalist. Therefore, if you want to do the test by yourself, then you have to purchase these following items :
- Asbestos testing kits
- Spray bottle
- Face mask
- Disposable protective gloves
- Plastic sheet
- Plastic bags
- Permanent marker.
Nowadays you can obtain the testing kits easily. You may purchase them in store or online. However, in some cases, the result may be accurate or not. But if you still want to try DIY test for ACMs, then those items mentioned above should be purchased.
How to Collect Asbestos Samples?
These following steps will help you to conduct a safe sampling collection work:
- Identify the potential suspected area: There are many resources to get information about where usually fibrous materials were used in your home building materials. Some sources also include pictures to help you find the contaminated area easily.
- Sealing the removal area: Spread plastic sheets on the floor. Ideally, when you are about to do the asbestos removal job, homeowners should stay away from the area at least two days before the work is conducted. The area should be quarantined. Avoid to vacuum or clean the suspected area before examining it properly. Turn-off heating or cooling appliances before collecting the sample as such appliances have a tendency to suck away dust particles. Do not forget to close the ventilation around the removal area.
- Wet the area: Fill a spraying bottle with a mixture of water and soap then spray the suspected area repeatedly. Don’t forget to wear a face mask and plastic gloves. Spray the entire are and ensure that the mist is dispelled in every part of the area. Dampen the suspected product to ensure that the fibres will no longer released into the air. Cut a small section of the plastic sheet with scissors to get your sample.
- Put the sample in an approved bag: Put the sample immediately in an approved plastic bag right after you get the sample. Use a permanent marker to label the bag. You may write the date and time of the sample collection.
- Send the sample to an EPA accredited laboratory: Send the sample to a registered laboratory and keep the area clear until you get the report. If the result is positive, you can start to think about the next step. You may also put the result in your asbestos register to know the location of the fibrous products in your building. When you intend to eliminate the products, you can get a quote to get an estimated price for the removal job. Try to search for reliable contractors who will provide you with great services.
Check the links below to get information about where can ACMs be commonly found in domestic and commercial properties:
How can I find a licensed contractor to remove ACMs from my property?
No Need to worry. You are looking at the right place. Asbestos Watch Rockhampton will connect you to Class-A licensed contractors who offer excellent asbestos testing Rockhampton services. We selectively chosen our endorsed contractors to provide you the best possible asbestos testing service in the Rockhampton region.
Our endorsed removalists have been trained and are highly skilled to deliver satisfactory results for clients. They have extensive experiences in handling fibrous materials in residential, commercial and industrial settings.
Our trusted members will carry out all jobs in accordance with national and local regulations and safety procedures.
Our approved members will do a thorough inspection within your home and conduct an asbestos testing Rockhampton work before performing any removal job. They may also provide you with a professional assessor to do air monitoring and clearance inspection prior the removal of the ACMs.
Every work will be executed based on the action plan, which is approved by the clients beforehand. Your project will keep on track. You don’t need to worry about the hazardous waste since our members also provide a disposal service. All the waste will be disposed of in a legal facility site in the Rockhampton area. Once the work is completed, you will receive a written final report.
What are you waiting for? Free yourself from dangerous products around your house. Give our members a call now and get your 3 free quotes!